(click to expand)
[su_spoiler title=”University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland < 2004 – current >” style=”fancy”]
Over the years, I have worked with several different research groups at University of Oulu. Right now I am working as a postdoctoral researcher at the Center for Ubiquitous Computing, University of Oulu.
As a researcher at the University of Oulu, I have led and managed to completion many award-winning and challenging projects to improve urban spaces.
In my academic and professional work, I create real systems for real people. I think that too much research stays in the lab, when it would be better suited to improving people’s lives. In addition, I have taught / currently teach several courses, including Distributed Systems, Human-Computer Interaction, Applied Computing Projects I and II and Mobile & Social Computing.
In addition to my career in research, I have been employed by University of Oulu also for tutoring and teaching students.
[su_spoiler title=”University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan < 2016 >” style=”fancy”]
I visited The Center for Spatial Information Science for 4 months to develop crowdsourcing mechanisms and tools to leverage local communities.
[su_spoiler title=”University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland < 2012 >” style=”fancy”]
I was the technical lead for implementing a sensor-assisted elderly monitoring system, led by the University of Lapland. At the same time, I supervised a BSc project aimed to create the client application(s) for the end product, and I continued its development afterwards. Please see the project page for more details about the system we developed.
[su_spoiler title=”Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan < 2007 >” style=”fancy”]
At Waseda University’s Distributed Computing Lab, I developed middleware for augmenting artefacts, such as embedding mini-computers to any ordinary furniture.
We created some of the world’s first prototypes to support content transfer using everyday artefacts as digital content containers, and developed fully-functional middleware to network artefacts together. If you are interested in more information, please click here.
[su_spoiler title=”Nokia (mobile phones), Oulu, Finland < 2005 >” style=”fancy”]
I spent four months at Nokia, creating demos for a “Show Room” featuring the newest and brightest innovations of the company.
I worked with Symbian devices and created applications leveraging UPNP for media streaming.
[su_spoiler title=”Nokia Networks, Oulu, Finland < 2003 >” style=”fancy”]
In this role, I tested various WCDMA base stations.
I also received a personal innovation grant from Nokia Networks for many improvement suggestions to the overall testing process.
[su_spoiler title=”Municipality of Nivala < 1998 – 2002 >” style=”fancy”]
Various summer jobs during my teen years, mostly farm work.
Awards and Grants
- European Conference on Ambient Intelligence (AmI) 2017: Best Short Paper Award for the co-authored work “Exploring the Use of Ambient WiFi Signals to Find Vacant Houses”
- British HCI 2015: Best Full Paper Award for the first-authored work “Life through the Lens: A Qualitative Investigation of Human Behaviour with an Urban Photography Service”
- CHI 2014: Honorable Mention Award for the co-authored work “CHI 1994-2013: Mapping two decades of intellectual progress through co-word analysis”
- International UBI Summer School 2011: Best Presentation Award
- HotMobile 2010 — Mobile Computing Systems and Applications: Best Paper Presentation Award for the first-authored full paper “Supporting Distributed Private and Public User Interface in Urban Environments”
- Nokia Networks Oulu: personal innovation award for developing a mechanism to improve WCDMA base station testing process
Personal R&D Grants:
- Academy of Finland Research Fellowship: 3-year post-doctoral funding. Sep 2015 – Aug 2018
- Microsoft Research Cambridge (2011), UK: 3-year PhD scholarship. The first applicant from Finland to receive the funding
- 3x Walter Ahlström Foundation
- 2x Research and Training Foundation of Teliasonera
- 1x Oulu University Scholarship Foundation
- 1x Seppo Säynäjäkangas Science Foundation
- 1x HPY Research Foundation
- 1x University of Oulu Graduate School.
Teaching (University of Oulu)
- 2018 Responsible Teacher: Social Computing, 5 ECTS credits
- 2017, 2018 Responsible Teacher: Human-Computer Interaction, 5 ECTS credits
- 2016, 2017 Responsible Teacher: Applied Computing Project I, 10 ECTS credits
- 2016, 2017 Responsible Teacher: Applied Computing Project II, 10 ECTS credits
- 2015 Teaching Assistant: Mobile and Social Computing, 5 ECTS credits
- 2014, 2015 Teaching Assistant: Applied Computing Project I, 10 ECTS credits
- 2014, 2015 Teaching Assistant: Applied Computing Project II, 10 ECTS credits
- 2010-2014 Teaching Assistant: Distributed Systems, 8 ECTS credits
+ A number of supervised BSc and MSc theses
- Arrangements Chair, International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PERDIS) 2016
- International Workshop on Mobile and Situated Crowdsourcing (WMSC) 2016
- International Workshop on Mobile and Situated Crowdsourcing (WMSC) 2015
- Arrangements Chair, HiCUE ’13 — Workshop on Human Interfaces for Civic and Urban Engagement (UbiComp 2013)
- Arrangements Chair, International UBI Summer School 2013
- International UBI Summer School 2011
- International UBI Summer School 2010
Technical Program Committee
- AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP) 2018
- Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications and Services (MOBICASE) 2018
- International Workshop on Context-Awareness for Multi-Device Pervasive and Mobile Computing (PerCrowd) 2018
- International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PERDIS) 2017
- International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM) 2017
- International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM) 2016
- International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PERDIS) 2016
- PD-Apps: Workshop on Developing Applications for Pervasive Display Networks 2015
- PD-Apps: Workshop on Developing Applications for Pervasive Display Networks 2014
OTiT — Information Engineers’ guild Oulu: Public relations and industry cooperation officer 2004
IEEE Student Branch Oulu
- Vice-chair and arrangements officer 2005
- Chair 2006
- Librarian 2008
- Public relations 2010
- ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems / CHI
- AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing / HCOMP
- ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing / CSCW
- AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media / CWSM
- Behaviour and Information Technology / BIT
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia / MUM
- Grid and Pervasive Computing / GPC
- Ubiquitous Computing / UbiComp
- Digital Cities WS at Conference on Communities and Technologies / DC
- International Symposium on Pervasive Displays / PERDIS
- Ambient Intelligence / AmI
- International Journal on Human-Computer Studies / IJHCS
- International conference on Communities and Technologies / C&T
- International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media / ICWSM
- International Conference on Intelligent Environments / IE
- International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services / MobileHCI
- Transactions on Internet Technology / TOIT
- Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology / TIST
- The British Human Computer Interaction Conference / B-HCI
- Interacting with Computers / IwC
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies / IJHCS
- Applied Computing and Informatics / ACI
- Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies / IMWUT
- The Social Science Journal / SSJ
- Interactive Surfaces and Spaces / ISS
I’m always available for collaboration, so please contact me if you have an idea in mind!